Click here to fill out our Volunteer Application!
Hands-on work in the barns
We welcome volunteers at the farm. We hold regular “farm work days” where you can come and help with any of the following chores:
Mucking the barn
Helping with other projects
Volunteers need to attend an orientation before beginning work, and must sign a liability waiver form. Children between the ages of 11 and 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for the initial orientation. We cannot accommodate volunteers under the age of 11.
Orientations are scheduled regularly and dates for orientation are posted on the home page of the web site. You must attend an orientation before you are able to work at the farm.
Please leave your own animals at home.
Don’t want to get your hands dirty, but want to help?
We have jobs for you! Here are just some of the jobs our volunteers do who are not working outside!
- Crafting. Do you have a special talent in working with your hands? We have a lovely little gift shop where we sell hand-crafted items to help raise funds for the farm. Our crafters include fiber artists, potters, and jewelry makers.
- Events staffing. Are you outgoing? Love to talk to people? Love animals? We do four major on-farm events during the year, and we also do outreach events off the farm. We are currently looking for more folks who would like to help us get the word out about our work with animals at local fairs and festivals.
- Fundraising. Are you interested in helping us raise funds for the farm? We need folks who will assist with writing letters, talking with both local businesses and corporations about their giving programs, and coming up with creative ideas to help us keep our income stream steady so that we can keep our promise to the animals.
- Administrative. Do you love to be organized? Wow, we need someone like that! We have an endless stream of papers, emails, phone calls coming in. We need some basic office help (like filing, data entry), and we also need someone adept at Quickbooks to help us keep our accounts in good order. Our office is off the farm, in Poolesville, Maryland.
- The winter months are hard with frequent bad weather and poor road conditions. Always check before leaving for the farm that it is safe to drive. Remember that we are in the upper western part of Montgomery County and get more “weather” than other parts of the county.
- We will be holding off on new volunteer orientations for those under 18 until early March of 2017. If you are an adult and wish to volunteer for workdays, crafting, carpentry, fundraising, or administrative work, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please do not bring along out of town family members or friends to volunteer with you unless they have already attended orientation. We usually have a waiting list so we want to be fair to everyone.
If you’d like to spend a few hours down on the farm, get out your gloves and boots and come on out! Please fill out our volunteer application form.